Re: translation size

On Thu, 2002-09-05 at 06:37, Sander Vesik wrote:
> On 5 Sep 2002, John Fleck wrote:
>
> > Folks -
> > We will face a new (and good) problem soon, when the Sun team starts
> > making available a multitude of translations. My question involves size:
> > if simply included in the tarballs, will these add significantly to
> > their size? Is there an alternative that would allow users to pull down
> > tarballs only for their language of choice?
> > Has this already been thought through?
>
> I think the indidvidual docs won't in most cases add a significant amount
> of bloat to worry about in most cases - but really, how do we determine
> the 'significant amount'?

To my crude first-order approximation, the docs in gnome-utils (probably
the package with the most docs 'cause it has the most apps in it) take
up ~ 150k currently, so 10 translations adds 1.5m to the package. I
don't know either were the line to "significant" lies, but asking people
to download that much extra stuff they don't need might be over it.

> A much larger peoblem is of course the user
> guide, especially as it has significant amounts of images that will
> difenately have no overlap.

Yeah, this is the one I was thinking about more than anything else.

> Maybe we should invent localized docs packs ? And should english be
> special case in that case?

Cheers,
John
--
John Fleck
http://www.inkstain.net http://www.abqjournal.com

"Sometimes, a diner is all about the mac and cheese."
  - Zippy the Pinhead