Re: Keyboard Layout Switcher applet

Hi Sergey,

thank you for your mail :)

See my comments embedded below.

Regards,
Breda.

"Sergey V. Oudaltsov" wrote:

> > Can you or Sergey please tell me how to suppress the run-time check, or how
> > to fool the check into thinking that I've got an older version of XFree, so
> > that I can invoke gkb-new? I'm scheduled to document gkb-new for GNOME 2.6.
> OK.
>
> First, about the "good" things. There is existing documentation on
> gswitchit in GNOME CVS. Look at gswitchit/help/C. It is a bit out of
> date - and covers some parts of gnome-control-center-related stuff - but
> you can copy-paste something out of it.

Unfortunately, I cannot take on any new work at the moment :(
Perhaps one of my colleagues on this list would like to help.

> The BAD thing (not for you personally, mostly for gnome) is that
> fallback gkb-new is not really changed since gnome 2.4 (even the flags
> are not removed!). About the run-time switch, look at gnome-applets/
> gswitchit/switch.c. There is CheckXKB function which you can modify to
> return some constant (false or true).

I inserted the line "have_xkb = FALSE;" before the line "return have_xkb" in
gnome-applets/gswitchit/switch.c, and then reran the configure, make, and make
install commands. I still see only the Keyboard Indicator applet in the panel,
even after I reboot my machine.

I then changed "have_xkb = FALSE" to "have_xkb = TRUE;" before the line "return
have_xkb" in gnome-applets/gswitchit/switch.c, and then reran the configure,
make, and make install commands. I still see only the Keyboard Indicator applet
in the panel, even after I reboot my machine.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Breda.