Re: Role and function of the docs team

Hi :o)

On Sun, 2006-08-27 at 19:06 +0100, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
> --- karderio <karderio gmail com> wrote:
> > Another thing is that on all these mailing lists,
> > invariably discussions
> > crop up in dark corners that would interest a much
> > larger audience. An
> > example would be the current discussion about
> > including a new game for
> > the next release cycle, not to call the GNOME games
> > list a dark corner
> > that is ;)
>
> I think a change of culture is needed, and that is
> going to be a long and difficult process.
> Send the gnome-games list a message asking them to
> make sure they notify the docs list when they've
> chosen a new game.

I think a change of culture is needed too. I have been pondering on
reaffirming, promoting and consolidating core values for a while,
perhaps with the help of some sort of documentation, such as the "GNOME
Developer Guidelines". I imagine this covering things such as being nice
to one another, defining roles, coding practises and whatnot...

> Another example could be our suggestion
> > of providing VMware
> > images, this could interest people from numerous
> > teams.
> >
> > An idea would be to provide a wiki page or an
> > "interesting discussion
> > announcement" mailing list.
>
> That does actually exist.

Does it ? Perhaps I have not been clear... Are you referring to the
announcement list ?

> And it would be a good idea -- once we've thrashed out
> a basic "please keep the docs team informed throughout
> the cycle" policy -- to announce it there. But someone
> who has diplomatic skills can do it, ie not me

I don't think discussions can be announced on the announcement list. Is
there another list I am unaware of ? I am suggesting a place where new
discussions can be announced long before any decision has taken place.

Love, Karderio.