Re: Small change in the clock applet

Hi Shaun, guys,

(I am only now rereading most of the lists I am far behind on, sorry
for being so slow ;)

On January 25th, Shaun McCance wrote:

> This probably doesn't even need to be mentioned explicitly.
> If our documentation gets translated completely, then we need
> only make sure translations are correct.  Maybe we could add
> a note to translators in the documentation, so they know not
> to do a direct translation.

xml2po will extract a comment in front of the paragraph in question as
translator comment, so you can actually do that:

<!-- Translators: If your language doesn't support 12-hour format,
   that option will not be available for users, so be sure to note
   that in the docs -->
<para>Select either 24-hour format for hours going from 0-23 or
   12-hour format blahblah...</para>

...or whatever :)

> Or maybe I'm looking at a pipe-dream scenario.  Hmm.

Well, it might get complicated if we use xml2po and the original docs
are actually:

<para>You have two commong formats for displaying current time:</para>

<variablelist>
  <varlistentry>
    <term>24-hour</term>
  </varlistentry>
  <varlistentry>
    <term>12-hour</term>
  </varlistentry>
</variablelist>

Since we'd like to have this result in a much simpler

<para>Your time will be displayed in 24-hour format</para>

in the translation, right?

I can add some special marker to xml2po to drop some nodes, but it'd
be hard to get it to work correctly (since it extracts only what needs
translation, there would be no marker for <variablelist> itself, but

My opinion is that we probably need "Writing docs for translation"
guide as well (just like we have suggestions on what to do in program
strings for translation).

Cheers,
Danilo