Re: Build utilities?

--- Joachim Noreiko <jnoreiko yahoo com> wrote:

> Shaun wrote on bugzilla...
>
> > Oh, I meant to say something else too.  I've said
> it
> before, but I'm going to
> keep saying it over and over and over until
> everybody
> knows not to run xmllint
> manually.  Our wonderful build utilities do the
> proper
> xmlling command when you
> do 'make check'.  So, you know, spread the word.
>
> Me no coder. Me doc writer.
> What be build utility?
> Anything with word 'make' is scary and might blow up
> my computer. Ug. (Bangs with stick and rock.)

Seriously guys -- I wasn't kidding.
How does this work?
I tried 'make check' in all the folders I thought
might be relevant and I got the same error message.

I haven't had very good experiences with make.
I briefly tried joining the gimp-web team last year,
and I found out I had to run a make script after EVERY
edit to the HTML just to see the changes in a browser.
When I pointed out that this completely broke normal
workflow for web work (edit, save, reload in browser,
repeat LOTS), they pretty much told me to get lost.
(I haven't checked, but I think gnome web suffers from
the same design flaw, which might explain why it's
getting no attention from web page writers.)