Manual page translations

I've been looking at getting the manual page translations to work in
yelp.  There was a sorting/priority issue that I figured out with
respect to which man pages should have precedence (obviously translated
man pages for your $LANGUAGE should have precedence over others), but
now I am facing another problem.

It seems that man pages are not translated in utf-8.  This means we have
to perform character set conversion between whatever code page is
appropriate for your language into UTF-8 (and then I need to rewrite the
man parser with utf-8 in mind).  Can anyone point me to some
documentation about how this is usually done?  Specifically, how do I
determine the appropriate character set conversion to do based on the
value of $LANGUAGE?

P.S. Yelp creates a derived class of g_io_channel to handle gzip/bzip2
compressed files transparently - this forces us to set the encoding to
NULL (binary), so g_io_channel can't do the encoding validation for us.
Any ideas about how to fix this?

Thanks for the help,

--
Brent Smith <gnome nextreality net>