Re: Future licence suggestions (was : License problem in Ubuntu Desktop Guide)

--- Yavor Doganov <yavor doganov org> wrote:

> I urge you to inform licensing gnu org about your
> concerns regarding
> GNU FDL.  Some of them are real, because the license
> was written
> mainly with Texinfo in mind, and some of them are
> moot based on the
> FUD that various people spread on this matter.

The list of problems encountered with the GFDL has
been on the Mallard wiki page for months:
http://live.gnome.org/ProjectMallard and in our mail
archives for even longer.

> Inventing yet another
> license just because some insignificiant part of the
> Free Software
> community hates GFDL doesn't seem like the right
> approach for me.  RMS
> has mentioned several times that the GFDL will be
> revisited once the
> new GPL/LGPL is out.

An ETA on that?

> Also, remember that GNOME is part of the GNU Project
> and ought to
> follow the main rules and recommendations.  If they
> are unsuitable for
> the purpose in question, this has to be addressed
> properly and fixed,

Yes. As I said, it's rather ironic. It does seem
entirely logical that GNOME, a GNU project, should use
the GFDL, a GNU licence.
Perhaps the GNU project could take heed of the
apparent problems with the GFDL, and either cut
through the FUD with authority or address the
problems, as appropriate.

Yahoo! Messenger - with free PC-PC calling and photo sharing. http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com