Re: Word-a-Day: button, command button, toggle button

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 16:52 +0100, Calum Benson wrote:
> On 26 Apr 2008, at 13:22, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
>

> > I'm fine with "Press the Reset button", but "Press the left mouse
> > button" seems a little weird to me. After all, the whole reason we use
> > the term "click" is because that's what mouse buttons *do*.
>
> Also, if I was told to "press" a mouse button I'd probably interpret
> that as "click and hold".

I can attest that when teaching my children how to use the keyboard,
that when I said "press the space bar", they did. They did not release
the key until I told them to. They now know that "press" does not mean
"press and hold". Why should the mouse or trackpad be any different?

"Tap" maybe a better term than "press" or "click", though I suspect
that has become associated with touchscreen gestures.

I am concerned that we are choosing terms that will make additional work
for documentation teams that are adapting GNOME to run on devices other
than desktop computers. My daughters are using trackpads on laptops in
their school. I would not bet that the mouse will be so dominate in 10
years.

--

__C U R T I S  C.  H O V E Y_______
Guilty of stealing everything I am.