Re: Update to gospanel.xml

Il giorno sab, 07/02/2009 alle 20.08 -0600, Shaun McCance ha scritto:
> On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 01:13 +0000, Phil Bull wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I've attached a patch to
> > gnome-user-docs/trunk/gnome2-user-guide/C/gospanel.xml. The following
> > changes have been made:
>
> Thanks a lot, Phil.  I've just applied this and the two
> other patches you sent.

        An applet is a small, interactive application that resides
        within a panel, for example the <application>Volume
        Control</application>. Each applet has a simple user interface
        that you can operate with the mouse or keyboard.

Could you use another example? The Volume Control applet is now
(GNOME-2-26) null-ified by new notification icon :(

> > This patch should fully update this section of the user guide for GNOME
> > 2.24, except for the following issues:
> >
> >       * The CD player (gnome-cd) no longer seems to be included in any
> >         GNOME distributions, so it shouldn't be used as an example of a
> >         notification area icon. Is there anything reasonably universal
> >         that could be used to replace it? I was thinking of nm-applet or
> >         Brasero, but they're not officially part of the GNOME Desktop
> >         IIRC.
>
> How about the battery status indicator?  I think that's
> in stock Gnome.  Is NetworkManager really not?

Could be a good idea show a "permanent" icon (for example the battery
indicator, it's in GNOME stock) and a "true notification" icon such as
new message in Empathy or similar.

Also note that in GNOME 2.26 if you have pulseaudio, you'll have the
volume icon too.

> >       * Is the Window Selector applet still a default panel applet for
> >         vanilla GNOME? I've been testing on the GNOME 2.24 VMware Live
> >         Demo (which uses Foresight) and it's not used by default.
>
> I don't think the window selector menu was ever a default
> applet.  IIRC, stock Gnome has used the window list on the
> bottom panel as far back as 2.0.

If your vendor don't patch schemas file, try running `gconftool-2
--recursive-unset /apps/panel` to reset panel configuration.