Question about contributing to GNOME documentation

I understand that with the change to Mallard documentation format,
things are in a state of flux at the moment. I want to clarify the
process by which documentation is being edited.

As I understand it, GNOME documentation is contained in one or more
git respositories. Anyone wanting to contribute documentation, or edit
documentation, ought to make a note of this in the wiki page so that
everyone else involved knows what's in progress. The person wanting to
write then clones the approporiate git repo, writes/edits, and submits
patches. From what I have read, the emphasis at the moment is on
having people contribute content, whether it's in Mallard format or
plain text. Once documentation and/or edits are accepted, they're
pushed to the appropriate git repo.

If I understand correctly, this all sounds reasonable, but although
several people are working on documentation topics, I don't see this
reflected in the wiki page. Do I misunderstand the process? My concern
is that if I do take time to contribute documentation, there could
easily be a conflict between my work on a topic and someone else's
work on the same topic.

- Russell Dickenson