Newbie Introduction

Hi everyone,

I'm April from Cebu City, Philippines. I hold a degree in Computer Engineering and have worked as a writer for almost five years --three of which I spent as a technical writer for a research and development company. I have had some aspirations of making a contribution, however small, to the further development of open source software (preferably along the lines of my training, i.e., technical  writing/documentation), and I hope to be able to do more -- learn, grow, and contribute -- through this community.

I received an email, via the ubuntu-docs mailing list, asking if I was interested in the GNOME documentation project -- and I am :)

With that, I've started looking into some of the topics over at http://gitorious.org/desktop-help/desktop-help. In addition to that, I've gone through an overview of Mallard (the ten-minute tour). Also, I've started reading the document style guide and will set up git on my machine -- something I will probably need help with as I have never used git before.

For now, I'll proceed with setting up the tools I need for contributing to the documentation project. Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

Best Regards,
April Gonzales