Re: Problems with translating gedit help

On Fri, 2012-03-16 at 07:32 +0200, Alexander Shopov (Александър Шопов)
wrote:
> I have difficulties when updating the Bulgarian Gedit Help translation.
>
> Here are my basic steps:
> 1. cd gedit/help/bg/
> 2. git reset --hard; git pull --rebase
> 3. xml2po ../C/*page > pot.new
> 4. msgmerge bg.po pot.new > new.po
> 5. msgfmt -cvv bg.po
> bg.po: 772 translated messages.
> 6. msgfmt -cvv new.po
> new.po: 772 translated messages.
> Basically our team has translated everything.
>
> However when I compile the new gedit - lots of the generated Bulgarian
> page files contain untranslated strings. Additionally - the generated
> files are quite different to what I get when I manually do:
> for i in ../C/*page; do xml2po -p bg.po ../C/gedit-plugins-tag-list.page
> > translated/`basename $i`; done
>
> Additionally http://l10n.gnome.org/vertimus/gedit/master/help/bg
> documentation translation statistics shows many untranslated strings.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

gedit is one of the modules using the new documentation build tools.
That means it uses itstool, not xml2po. Some strings are handled
differently in itstool, so if you use an itstool po file (which is
what you get from DL) and merge back with xml2po, you'll only get
some of the strings merged.

What you want to do:

msgfmt -o bg.mo bg.po && itstool -m bg.mo ../C/*.page

--
Shaun