Re: Brno Docsprint - How to get there

> My guess is around 300 Czech Crowns (CZK) which is about 12 EUR. It gets
> slightly cheaper if you travel in a group (group="skupina"), but I guess
> I will come with you anyway to the train station even if I won't make it
> to Brno (not sure yet) so there won't be any problems.

Awesome!! I arrive in Prague at 14:05 (add another 30 minutes to get out of airport terminal) on Feb 22nd.

Florian has suggested that we take bus directly from Airport to Brno as it will save us time and the hassle of traveling from Airport to Prague Main Railway station, which is a very good point.
However I think it would be nice to have a train ride (for the view and comfort) but we can also optionally do it this way:

1. From Prague airport on Feb 22nd we can take bus to Brno directly (Andre, Michael, is this OK with you?)
2. Coming back from Brno we can take train to Prague railway station (Andre, I am told you are a resident of Prague city? would it work out if you got off at Train station which I understand is inside the city. While I can go take the Airport Express bus from Train station to Airport. I just need company half way if thats no hassle with you people. As am new there :).

Does this plan sound ideal to others? What are your priorities? (for mode of travel and destination) Will you be joining us at the Airport? (@Radina and @Marta?)

The reason I ask for plan of domestic travel in advance is because I need to carry sufficient amount on me to cover these expenses. I don't want to carry too much money as I have read on myczechrepublic website that pickpocketing "professionals" (as the website calls it) are often there.

For additional expenses I plan to carry an International debit card.

> There definitely are some. But you might already need some local money
> at the airport if you want to take the bus to the city.
> I'd take an ATM instead of a cash change desk, and I recommend to not
> enter something like "Give me 2000 crowns" if you don't want to end up
> with one huge 2000 crowns bill (80EUR) that the bus driver will refuse
> to accept because he doesn't have enough change. Better enter something
> weird like "2100" or so (depends on how much money you will need for the
> week).

Thank you, that's very informative. India and Czech sure have lot of similarities besides being democracies. We also face similar problems of currency/change here in buses ;-)

Tram look and sound so quaint and exquisite! :-) Brno trip will offer me many firsts in terms of learning, meeting people from different cultures and even transportation *excited*

>> 1. How does one catch a tram to go to Avanti Hotel?
>
> Last time we took a direct bus (number 67) from Central station (Hlavni
> Nadrazi) to stop "Sportovní". It takes nine minutes.
>
> The Avanti hotel is at "Střední 549/61, Brno, Czech Republic" if you
> want to enter it at maps.google.com - the bus stop is east of the hotel,
> right across the street.
>
> If you have a good internet connection, you could also try Google
> Streetview to get an idea how it looks there by taking a look at the
> pictures.
>
> You can also query local transportation connections at
> http://www.idsjmk.cz/EN/default.aspx .

Thank you so much for the detailed information! Nothing like being comfortable with directions in a new country :)

> If you have any other questions or if something is unclear, please don't
> hesitate to ask. :)

You have cleared all my doubts in great detail, thank you very much :)