Moving to CC-BY-SA 4.0

While looking over the new HIG:

https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-devel-docs/log/hig3

there was a discussion about licenses. CC-BY-SA 3.0 (which we currently use for most GNOME documentation) has an explicit "or later" clause, similar to the GPL. This means that CC-BY-SA 3.0 documentation can be reused in documentation under CC-BY-SA 4.0 without problems. This is useful for the new HIG, as it is currently under CC-BY-SA 4.0.

There have been many improvements to the 4.0 versions of the CC licenses:

https://creativecommons.org/Version4

The biggest improvement from my point of view is that ported licenses (those with regional variations) are no longer required, so there is only an international license text.

Should we recommend that all GNOME documentation should be under CC-BY-SA 4.0, rather than 3.0 (the current recommendation)?

--
http://amigadave.com/