Re: Work in progress documentation design

Petr Kovar <pmkovar gnome org> wrote:
Sorry, I should have mentioned - I've been discussing dropping the
videos with Jakub, and going for static images only instead.

What's your reasoning behind this? I think the GS videos are a strong asset
of our getting started experience. Replacing them with static images is a
step back imho.

Keeping the videos up to date is considerably more work than
maintaining static SVGs. And as time goes on, getting started isn't as
important as it used to be.

Also, my view is that static images can do a really good job. They
might not be as shiny, but they can help to explain just as well as
video (in most situations, anyway). Sometimes they're actually better
than video, because you can read them at your own pace.

I disagree - there's quite a strong overlap between "Getting Started"
and "Introduction to GNOME".

Okay, you're right. There's one page in gnome-help which overlaps with
getting-started. Seems like an easy fix, though. Let's just remove
"Introduction to GNOME" since it's very descriptive and doesn't really fit
in with the rest of topic-based content in gnome-help. We don't need that
page.

Works for me...

Allan