Re: Tooltips

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Dan "Effugas" Kaminsky wrote:

> >I had an idea about the help, though it can have some problems. I would
> like
> >to hear your opinions:
> >All the aplications should have tooltips everywhere, telling you what EACH
> >thing does (all the widgets: buttons, text, menus, etc). There should be
> >several tooltips levels, for example novice, advanced, expert. In novice
> you
> >are continuosly reading tooltips, in advanced there are less ones, and in
> >expert there are very few. You can configure the time which the tooltipe
> >need to appear. And BTW: are the Gtk tooltips only text labels, or are they
> >containers where you can put text, images, buttons, etc.
> >This would be really pretty, but there is a big problem: a developer isn't
> >going to spend very much time writing tooltips. But this could be done by
> >the documentation team (if Gnome has a documentation team).

> My problem with tooltips is they take too much time to come up....I like
> Balloon Help though.

	Tooltips are supposed to have a start delay of a specified time.
When the mouse hasn't moved, and no other input has occured, the tooltip
will appear if one exists.  When the mouse moves to another tooltip
region, the next tooltip will appear at once.  Clicking the mouse or
pressing a key will reset the tooltip.  (You have to move the mouse to a
different tooltip region to get them again.)  This initial delay, of
course, can be set to anything you want.

						-Ben

Benjamin Kahn                        /,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'
(212) 924 - 2220                    |,4-  ) )-,_ ) /\
          Meet Linux: Forrest Gump as an operating system.