Re: To answer your question about the upcoming Style-Guide..

>as far as the default out-of-the-box configuration, though, i think we
>should be willing to go out on that limb and say "we don't care what
>you're used to; this is more efficient, easier to learn for
>first-timers, neater, more addictive, and more productive so we're gonna
>do it this way by default." i still cast my vote for the right-clickable
>popup.

Good point: what do you want, a XXX OS 100% emulator, or something that
works? If you want an 100% emulator, run original OS. If you want something
that works, Gnome is for you.

I am not against "OS partial emulation": it is perfect to be able to use a
Emacs-like keybindigs, or Windows or Mac or Amiga. The important is that the
behaviour remains the same from app to app, for example: if you have the
option to drag/lock menus, you must be able to do that with every Gnome menu
you find.

>i think it's safe to say that since x was designed for use with 3
>buttons (even mac x servers take this into account, with standard
>key-combos to emulate buttons 2 and 3) that we should count on having at
>least those 3 buttons, but support scroll-wheels and additional buttons
>too if necessary.

Let the user use 4th and so on buttons for programmed tasks.

GSR