Re: Proposal for First Draft of GNOME Style Guide 1.1

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, John R Sheets wrote:

> Let me know what you think!

OK, just one thing that I see carried over from v. 1.0 of the style guide
that I had an objection to, figured now was as good a time as any to voice
it:)

> C3 - Document based applications should contain four menu entries
> in the "File" menu for the last four documents opened. In the
> event that there haven't been four documents accessed, entries
> that have not been filled should be grayed out.

I recently added recent-document support to gEdit to do what's described
above, but in doing so was having a hard time finding a reason to list the
entries that haven't been filled, so I made it such that gEdit would only
display entries filled with documents. I also took a pseudo-poll in #gimp
and everyone seemed to agree that their was no point in listing the as-yet
unfilled entries. Even if I were to follow the guide, it's unclear what
the empty entries should say, so I would suggest changing this area of the
guide to mandate the actual position of the recent documents in the File
menu, that they should be surrounded by separators, etc, and drop the part
about leaving the unfilled entries.