Re: Little tip about the panel -> standard icons/look feel

Hi,

This originated on the gnome-list but it seemed more logical to take it
here.

On Fri, Jul 31, 1998 at 10:43:04AM +0000, Mikael Hermansson wrote:
> I download a SNAP of the gnome panel today (SNAP-980830)
>
> And I found the Add/Menu/drawer funtions in the panelmenu....
> The idea is good but the buttons on the menus looks not that good...
>
> How about to replace this buttons with small icons for add/menu/drawer?
>
> I dont know how this icons should look but I think it will look mush
> better than the buttons...
> Any graphic designers out there have any ideas :-)

Would probably be a good idea.. I think.

It is maybe (for as far as it wasn't thought of) a good idea to include in
the style guide a number of standard icons for certain things/concepts
(adding something, deleting something, go back (next item), go forward
(previous item) things like that). With as result that including a certain
style guide compliant icon in a icon in your app may give a
consistent/gnomish look and make it easier for the user to perceive the
intended result of pushing the icon.

For instance one could use a pictogram of a cross to depict deleting
something. The creator of for instance a mailprogram could then combine the
standard icon with the pictogram of a message to indicate the delete
message action. (It's also a big help for graphical nitwits like me ;) who
are utterly lousy at making good looking icons =) )

If you'd take this further one could make a standard library of icons for
the most common GNOME concepts and of course the standard computing
concepts (connection/mail message/attachment/window manager/<lots more>).
By combining these icons in new ones one could probably improve the
consistent look and feel of the 'GNOME-experience'.

Ric
- Ric Klaren - ia_ric@cs.utwente.nl ------- klaren@cs.utwente.nl --------------
'And this 'rebooting' business? Give it a good kicking, do you?' 'Oh, no,
 of course, we ... that is ... well, yes, in fact,' said Ponder. 'Adrian
   goes round the back and ... er ... prods it with his foot. But in a
    technical way,' he added. --- From: Hogfather by Terry Pratchett.

PGP signature