GnomeCanvas background..

I'm wondering what would be the preferred way of setting the background
color in a GnomeCanvas object such that it would override any theme
settings for that one particular object.

I'm thinking that I need to do something like:

 GTK_WIDGET(canvas)->style->bg[GTK_STATE_NORMAL] = <something>;

I'm not sure how to create and setup a GdkColor structure to set there. So
far I've been getting 'incompatible types in assignment' errors.

Thanks..