home directory and desktops

I like this idea.  Some random thoughts on it though...

You mention having a higher object than desktop.  'foo' could be like to
/home/ directory but with a
'system' desktop object holding system wide objects users could link to
- printers, drives, etc.  These would be administered by the system
while the users had control over their own desktops.  Also, this might
allow migration of a desktop between systems if we have a standard
nameing convention for system objects.

The circumstance I have in mind is using an X terminal to log into one
account and then running programs from another.  Of course, the idea
behind GNOME is to make all this appear as one desktop.  Is there any
way to merge the different config files on the different machines (maybe
even the desktops)?  Maybe make the initial login the master desktop
picking elements from other desktops as they become available?

Don't know if it's possible, but the seed of an idea.  Maybe already
thought of and thrown out...
--
--Jim Smith