Re: First UI component needing replacement.

Marc Fearby wrote:

> The UI Hit Squad's impression of a new file dialogue is probably the
> best I've seen so far, but I still think the standard common dialogue
> in Windows 95 is still the easiest to use I've seen so far, except that
> I would change the "Look in" label at the top to "Folder:" or "Select
> Folder:" or something more obvious.

Easiest because we are used to it.  I think it's a bit cluttered myself.

> As much as Microsoft are evil, they've definately got the file-dialogues
> sorted out (though, the ones in Office 2000 are an abomination). It all
> biols down to the fact that if a common-dialogue isn't done right then
> people are gonna get annoyed, and will probably say "Man, this Gnome
> still has some catching up to do" as I often hear when people hear that
> I'm using it.

I beg to differ:

MS dialog critique:
http://www.iarchitect.com/file95.htm

http://www.iarchitect.com/explore.htm

http://www.iarchitect.com/find95.htm

Do not repeat the mistakes they have made.  Many people do.  I'd rather we
didn't.

> In summary:  No horizontal scroll view by default
>              Resizable common-dialogue window
>              Filter box somewhere
>              No undoing everything by pressing cancel
>
> Marc

Resizeing of dialogs should be global, whereas the MRU directories should be
app specific.

Be sure to read
http://www.iarchitect.com/mshame.htm
and not repeat the same mistakes.