Re: First UI component needing replacement.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris LeDantec" <Chris.LeDantec@netbeans.com>

> the point is, the checkbox and the selection highlight is redundant. good
ui
> design does everything to eliminate redundancy when it is un-needed.

I potentially agree -- but I don't see them as 'two' indicators necessarily,
but as a combined indicator.

> why is it that you've got such a distaste for combining keyboard and
mouse?

I think you could do a poll and find a lot of people would be against
forcing users to combine keyboard and mouse to do simple and frequent tasks.

> there is a lot of complex behavior that cannot be combined with only two
> (three) buttons.

That's true.  But this is simple behaviour.  Selecting multiple files should
be _easy_, not complex.

> unless there is something that
> really substantiates the benefit of a design change, all you end up doing
is
> creating quirks that are fun for branding but hard on the user. users
moving
> to linux/gnome are going to have an easier time of it if there is
> consistency in the fundamental tasks.

For some reason emacs and vi have managed to continue to be very popular
despite their non-efforts to be the same as Windows in interface.  I
disagree with your assumptions.

> likewise, a user brought up on
> linux/gnome will not be so severed from the rest of the world if the core
> behaviors are similar.

Not necessarily -- this is based on assumptions that aren't proven.