Re: First UI component needing replacement.

On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 03:46:09PM +0200, Christian Rose wrote:
> > No, I don't like this. Does it not imply having seperate "open one"
> > and "open multiple" commands? That's very ugly. Since opening multiple
> > files is such a common occurence and opening a single file should be
> > possible with a multiple file opener I say keep them together.
>
> I was under the impression that the discussion about multiple open
> dialogs was about multiple open dialog components that the programmer
> could choose from, not that there had to be multiple types of open
> dialogs for the user to choose from in the final app.

oops. That possibility didn't occur to me. :)

Ok, so the system I'm suggesting has different behaviour depending on
whether it's in multiple or single mode, so in a sense I guess it's
already doing that to some extent. It would be entirely possible to
have wholly different dialogs for each mode, with the multiple files
dialog perhaps having "add selected to list", etc. buttons on it.

I'm concerned though that the open multiple dialog should be just as
easy to use for a single file as the open single dialog is. When I'm
using a text editor I might need to open just one file or a whole load
of them. Sometimes I don't know which until I reach the directory.

It's possible that I'm asking too much, but I don't think I am...

colin

  rtnl  http://rational.cjb.net     c.z.robertson@ndirect.co.uk
  ak    http://kitching.cjb.net                    icq 13294163