Re: File dialogs: an attempt at a summary

colin z robertson wrote:
> Auto-completion:
> In the filename text field there should be an auto-completion feature.
> By default this should be requested rather than automatic. Given that
> all the tab combinations are generally needed for other tasks, the
> most promising suggestion for a suitable key combination is
> <ctrl>+<space>. The correct way for automatic autocompletion to
> function is not clear, but would probably be in a Netscape-like
> manner: all following the already typed portion of the filename would
> be selected (despite the fact that this breaks X clipboard
> functionality).

X's "clipboard" is broken by design.

What needs to happen WRT to the base X itself is:
 A proper clipboard implementation done on the server that accepts multiple
MIME types, and is "smart" about it (explict request), verses the current
"dumb" mode (annoying)
 A consistent API that allows setting of the mouse speed, acceleration,
double click rate, etc.  Basically everything implemented in the MS Windows
Mouse control panel, except just the bare hooks for things like KDE and
Gnome to wrap.
 The same as above, but for the keyboard.

There are other major problems with X, but these are the main ones I think
of when I think of how X handles input (and the clipboard).

--
    www.kuro5hin.org -- technology and culure, from the trenches.