RE: File dialogs: Miscellaneous

> Miscellaneous:
> Should the dialog allow previewing of files as can be seen in the
> latest Nautilus screenshots?

It should provide room for extensions provided by the applications because
different types of applications require completely different preview
information.

A preview image for example doesn't make much sense for a sound file, and
artist information is not exactly what I'd want to know about my source code
files.

> Should the dialog provide buttons to take the user to the file
> manager? A find facility?

It should be possible to start the file manager from within the dialog,
because this allows to open the file manager with the current folder of the
dialog.

A find facility is very useful, but only if you can look for document type
dependent meta information (like author, publisher, artist, version number).

BTW, a simple "where the hell did I put that file?"-search can be easily
implemented within the editor. If you enter a file name which does not exist
in the current folder, you might be asked if you'd like to search your
computer for that file.

Jorg