RE: User interface suggestions

> > Or like the Windows "quick start area" in the task bar. This is a great
> > feature, I use it all the time to start Internet Explorer very
> quickly and
> > have some of my other commonly used apps in there. But it wouldn't work
> > without easily recognizable icons...
>
> Oddly, GNOME already has a UI component allowing quick, one-click
> access to a user-defined set of applications, customisable via
> drag-n-drop. It's called the Panel.

Hmmm, I think I've heard of that :-)

The problem is that many of the GNOME icons are simply not deisgned to be
used at smaller sizes, and since I prefer to display my taskbar/panel at a
small height, using it as a quickstart place doesn't work very well.

> My main problem with the GNOME icon canon at the moment is they're all
> undeniably Tigert's work. Not to bash Tigert, he's done some stunning
> stuff and I'm a great admirer of his work, but all his icons have a
> certain.. flamboyancy and style which *I* can't adequately copy, and
> I'm sure a lot of other people can't, either. The nice thing about the
> Microsoft style is pretty much anyone can do stuff in the same style.
> Even if it doesn't look *good*, it's not too hard to make it not look
> *sloppy*.

Yes, most of Tigert's icons are quite good - when viewing them at their
original size. (In fact, many of the GNOME icons look quite good at their
original size).

Copying the style of the GNOME icons is another problem - I wonder whether
Apple will experience the same problem with the photorealistic icons of
MacOS X...

Jörg