Re: panel/menu usability

On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 10:16:32PM +0800, Merlix Lo wrote:
> Zing Zing Awungshi Shishak wrote:
> > I find the navigation of the panel a bit to "strict" i.e. I would like to
> > be able to click foot->move up to applications->move diagonally to
> > abiword; rather than -> move right then -> move down to abiword.  Of
> > course, moving diagonally highlights the utilities menu and drives me nuts
> > (go ahead, call me a windows luser).
>
> Maybe a time delay can soft the problem. I mean that when the mouse
> is over an option, instead of the menu response immediately ,it
> response after a moment of time, for example, 0.8 seconds. So that
> the menu do not change its state when the mouse is moving
> diagonally.

The Right Way, of course, is to not close the menu unless the cursor
leaves the triangle defined by the initial cursor position and the two
nearest corners of the pop-up menu. The Macintosh and the Window Maker
window-manager both implement menus in this way, and are a real
pleasure to use.

This was gone into fairly heavily a few months ago on this list - I
think that eventually, someone had a nice word to the GTK+ developers,
but I'm not sure if anyone listened. And as far as I know, there
hasn't even been a development release of GTK 1.3.. I've looked over
the GTK+ website, and I can't find a list of Cool Things That Will Be
In GTK+ 1.4.

--