Re: Testing & A Suggestion :)

Hi, Nothing staggeringly important here , so ignore this mail if you want :)

On Thu, Nov 23, 2000 at 04:44:21PM +0100, Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero wrote:
> robsc dingoblue net au (2000-11-23 at 1159.13 +1100):
> > 1) I joined the list yesterday, and theres been no signs of life! is
> > anyone out there?
>
> It depends. Some weeks there are lot of activity, others nothing.
>
> > Anyway, Whistler had a nice idea (which, was later clarified in posts,
> > as a 'stole-from-BeOS' feature) regarding its tasklist.
> > 	If there were numerous copies of a windows open (e.g. in their
> > screenshots , IE) - instead of having a clutter of them, it made a
> > single entry in the tasklist, that was a drop-up list with more
> > details (presumeably - I didn't find a screenshot where it was
> > actually dropped up) about the program.
>
> I wonder if people use viewports / desktops and organize window using
> that. Maybe we should advertise that feature more. Another thing that
> should be give more publicity is that you can change task bar size...
> and in general, that you can configure your interface to suit your
> needs (I hope this to keep on in the future as new options are added,
> not new fixed things).

Yes, I do. Problem is that the human memory isn't perfect, and as such
- well - I have to search all viewports workspaces to find something,
or middle click sawfish. But that is a little annoying as I have to
decouple from the Keyboard, and go to a mouse. (I'm not an average
user though, so mousing isn't a problem)

> That is the current solution, and it seems to work, let suppose we use
> the drop down one, what happens if I have 30 windows of the same (I do
> not, I think my record for one viewport is 15 and of two or three
> types)? You still have problems choosing which one... but you can at
> least read the titles.  Not bad, but also fixable if your task bar is
> set to pratical sizes (mine is 256 pixels wide, and height as needed,
> placed in a side panel).

Gosh, 256 pixels wide - thats 1/4 of my screen width (and probably 1/4
of the width of a lot of individuals) . Also, what if someone likes
knowing about all their windows - i.e. the taskbar is really big.
	The other problem with keeping it simple-taskbared is as
follows. Suppose I have 27 windows happening, 23 of them netscape, 3 of
them xterms and say, one of them an emacs window with some source code
in it.
	How do I get to the emacs window using the taskbar? Well, even
assuming that it's visible on an enormous taskbar, I have to scan my
eyes of 27 different items. not pleasant. However, if all the
netscapes were 'compressed' into a singly entry, and the same for the
xterms - and we only have 3 items on our taskbar - Not a problem!
	Do you see what i mean? Granted, having 23 netscapes open at a
time is quite silly - and I haven't done it, but you see my point, I hope.

> The Whistler bar can also be seen in Sawfish menu (taken from BeOS
> too, IIRC), and it is nice when you have few windows, when you have
> lots, you are still hunting down which window you want.

I Love it - but the sawfish menu isn't availble permanently on my
window!

> So I think the idea is nice, at least when you have more than a few
> window but not a lot. I guess that covers most users. I would still
> preffer no to use that, so as option (and maybe default one) would be
> nice.

Agreed :) Adding it as an option is good. Keeping the semantics
correct, though, is difficult. I think the issues are when things
should become drop downs (i.e. what triggers a drop-down menu in a
tasklist? more than a certain number of entries in the tasklist? more
than a certain number of entries about a certain program? the devil is
always in the detail.

> > 	Personally, I think this would be a great addition to the
> > deskguide/tasklist: It takes a while to find windows now, if you have
> > several workspaces going on (flipping through each window). Any
> > suggestions, replies to this Idea?
>
> Maybe you should use workspace in a logical manner, ie: this for
> Netscape, that one for wordprocessing (or any other system your mind
> like: colors, first letter of window title, order of launch...).

I do: but it's difficult to remember. it's nice to have as pleasant a
fallback as possible.

> > Also, can we make the gnome panel more keyboard friendly? (Thats a
> > really ambiguous question, but I don't know any way of using they
> > keyboard to get at a panel).
>
> GNOME panel"s", some people have multiple... so not only how to
> navigate the applets, buttons and such, but how to choose which panel.
> Make the panels focusable like the rest of windows?

Yes - there is a problem with keyboarding as you described. The
problem is that it's no excuse. I'm going to go have a think about how
to keyboard enable a panel - it's a tough issue, but one well worth
it, i'd say. More on this from me soon :-)

--
Robert Schonberger robsc cse unsw edu au
2nd Year Software Engineering Student	Computing 1A tutor

Flanders:
	They're not perfect, but the Lord says love they neighbor --

Homer:	Shut up, Flanders.

Flanders:
	Okely-dokely-do.

		   Hurricane Neddy