Re: Running vs starting apps

I have recently learned that if you select a menu item in a gnome app, then
press a hotkey combination, that hotkey is then associated with that command.

So, for instance, if I want alt-c to be 'copy', then i would  hover over
edit->copy and press alt-c.  From that point on, alt-c is my hotkey for
copying!  I know, I know, probably an old trick that i just discovered, but it
has MANY cool ramifications.

Would it be possible to trap the commands, such as  copy, paste, save, etc. so
that if one does the above trick, it then becomes a global hotkey for ALL
similar commands in gnome?  One could have a master file of hotkeys and their
associated trapped commands.  Then on start the application would read this
and overwrite any local command hotkeys.  Of course, this may also have to be
done every few seconds or on focus for otehr gnome apps so that everything is
always up to date....  Or everything updated on change.

I think this would solve a LOT of problems I have had with gnome hotkeys.  The
'trick' above does a lot to assuage my frustration over most hotkeys, but it
would be even better if I could define common commands like copy, cut, paste,
save,  etc. *once* and then have it all work how I want it to work.

Of course, all of this would also be great when everything is gnome-ized so
that there is a lot more consistency in interface.