Re: Splash screens (Re: Arlo, a little QA...)

kevincu orci com (2000-10-25 at 1612.43 -0600):
> What we came to the conclusion was similar to what KDE has, no splash
> screen, but a new window which 1.indicates a process has started, and 2.
> Once the app is up and running, it looks like your normal GNOME task
> bar.  I had suggested that the bar FLASH until the app is completely
> loaded to indicate that something has started.

An entry in the task bar, maybe with a modified icon (if you have them
activaded), and a text that says "Starting Foo, please wait" should be
enough, I guess everyone can realice what is happening. No need of
flickers or blinks, or eating more CPU than needed.

Notice that the phrase starts with something different than other
apps, then app name and more info. So in the smallest taskbar, you see
the first word, and in the big ones you can see all, a good compromise
IMO, cos you should (I hope) not confuse it with an running app (plus
icon if you use them).

GSR