Re: Icon app launch feedback

Hi,

On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Gerry Chu wrote:

> > However, I would also extend this to the FUNCTIONALITY of the icons:  why
> not
> > increase the feeback the user gets?  It could be subtle, non-intrusive
> ways to
> > add depth to the interface without necessarily adding a lot to the
> > memory/processing time of the interface....
>
> Here's an idea for application launch feedback that I don't _think_ has been
> brought up:
>
> Animate the icon which the user clicked on!  In other words, make the icon
> turn into an hourglass or something.
>
> Why?
>
> -Users don't look at mouse states, I've read
> -Taskbar notification if far from where the user's attention is, as are
> throbbers
> -Icon _is_ where the user's attention is at the moment of clicking
> -But the icon might be covered up by the opening app window.
> -Titlebar notification is good too, IMO. I like combined titlebar/icon
> notification, myself.

I just wanted to say that I completely agree with you. Modifying the icon
the user has clicked to launch an application is the best feedback you can
give him/her. I wouldn't substitute the icon but just add an (animated)
hourglass to it.

There are some problems with this solution though, such as what happens
when the user launches an application from the foot menu, but I really
believe that this can be solved with a bit of imagination.

By the way, most of this is already done in Xalf, which as you may know
will be included in GNOME 1.4. But I believe we can improve it even more.

See you,
	Jorge