Different, Original user level proposal. Was: Proposal for default panel layout w/ some modifications to thepanel

Here is my proposal regarding user levels:

For everything, there is a base. A base panel layout, for example. These
things cannot be changed no matter what.

And there are things that can be configured. Extra panels, show folders
first, window widgets--all the non-base items.

There are two user levels: beginner and advanced. Every program, every
window is _always_ at the beginner user level by default. The default cannot
be changed no matter what.

You can, however, change the user level for a particular window temporarily
by pressing and holding down a keyboard combination. As long as the key
combo is held down, a quasi-mode is established, and advanced options are
shown/activated. When the key combo is let go, everything returns to the
beginner user level.

This proposal eliminates the problem of modes that exist with each user
level. It lets beginners work in a safe environment, while advanced users
can tweak to their heart's content.

I do believe that all user levels are bad and are a sign of a badly-designed
interface that is every all modern desktop computer UI. But we cannot change
anything drastic. So this is the compromise.

Respectfully submitted,

Gerry Chu