Re: Questions

I don't know that "easy to use" should really be a goal for a shell. The
point of a shell (IMHO) is to accomplish as much as possible with the
fewest keystrokes. If you change `ls' to `list' you've just doubled the
number of keystrokes without adding any functionality, and I think that
a new user is still going to be intimidated by the empty prompt. The
problem isn't really the abbreviations, it's the underlying terminology
and way of thinking. New users are better served by gui file managers.

I've got no problem with people trying to write new and better shell's,
and it's not a bad idea to try and help more people use CLI. What's
needed however is something to ease the transition from a gui to a real
shell, not simply an extra verbose shell that won't be useful to either
novices (because they still have to know that they want to "list" their
files) or to power users (because they'd rather just type `ls').

One idea is to log all the commands into a console pane, I think
Alias|Wavefront's Maya does something like this to good effect, and
probably others. For example, when Maggie opens her home directory with
the file manager it could log "cd ~" and "ls" (or "cd /home/maggie" or
"cd ~maggie", probably it would be best to pick the shortest possible
version) if she moves a file it logs "mv ...", if she double clicks on
an Abiword file it logs "abiword ...", and so on.