Re: gnome-hackers is now closed

This seems quite unacceptable to me.  The whole point of this move was to
move 99% of the gnome-hackers traffic to a non-private list.  If we do
this, gnome-hackers will become a noise only list and gnome-private will
be the new inner circle of development list.

When was the last time a message that needed to be private was sent to
gnome-hackers?  Do you really think we don't get the idea?  This
discussion has been one of the main discussion points on gnome-hackers
recently.  Why would people be posting to gnome-hackers if they don't read
it?

I really think we should reopen gnome-hackers as soon as the archives are
moved and we should make sure to do this in the next day or two.  At that
point, we should make a point of moving the main discussions back onto
gnome-hackers.

Alternatively, I think it would be fine to keep the gnome-private and
gnome-hackers lists in sync for the next month and just make sure that we
move conversations to the gnome-hackers list.  Then once November is over,
open up the lists.  This way anyone who sends a private mail to the
gnome-hackers list can be warned, but their post would still be private.

I really think that the whole point of moving to gnome-private is so that
we can have gnome-hackers be open reading.  If we close gnome-hackers for
some amount of time, it will be much harder to migrate back.  Closing
gnome-hackers almost makes the whole exercise moot.

Also, is gnome-hackers going to be open to posting?  It might be
interesting to make this a list that you need to apply for an account to
post, but that everybody has access to the archives (starting from the
reopening.)  I have no idea if this is a good idea.  It's just a thought.

Thanks,
    Chris