Re: French character names in gucharmap

Hi,
I am new on this list and not well aware of the precise question. But I
looked at the link
http://iquebec.ifrance.com/hapax/ListeDesNoms-4.0.0.txt
and I can tell you that the translation is very well done and is not
always the case. So, if the question is to keep the work already done in
French (by many linguists probably) even at the cost of some hundreds of
K more, my opinion is yes, but if the question is to find  (invent)
meaningful French names for all these character strings, it is no. Not
currently.

Translation must be either of excellent quality or none. Gnome products
can't be distributed in French schools or colleges because of the poor
current translations. Sorry for my poor English. I hope it will help.
Nicolas Brouard
Institut national d'études démographiques
Paris