Re: OT: ISO standards who?

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 05:17:21PM +0000, Ramanan Selvaratnam wrote:

> >  yet for some reason India, although a member
> > of ISO, doesn't participate in WG2.

India is participating in ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2 - the parent of WG2.
But I don't think there has been any experts from India for some time in
WG2. Except if you count Uma as an Indian, - he is the secretary, but
works for IBM in Toronto.

> All I can say as a concerned Tamil is free software should stay way out
> of this and empower[2] the people in the Tamil heartlands (especially
> true for l10n as it is they who would will it, not any siezable number
> of exaptriates  holed up in another economically wealthy country) with
> adopting only Unicode as almost everyone now understands why hacking
> Latin-1 was a temporary [3] idea.

AFAICT the encoding is not important for l10n, given that the l10n people
are using encoding independent tools like gettext as we do in Gnome.
And that the encoding can code the information in a satisfactory way.
Then you can easily recode the information to another charset.

Best regards
keld