Re: Translating multiple branches

среда, 08. октобар 2003. 09:39:21 CEST — Åsmund Skjæveland написа:
> What is the best way to translate multiple branches of an
> application?

I'm not sure there is the best way.

> Is it better to check out the two branches and merge the
> translations, and then check in again? (Can msgmerge merge two PO-
> files?)

I think this is better way of doing it. OTOH, msgcat is better for
combining two translations, but if you want to make use of compendium
along the way, msgmerge might help.

In any case, I think it's better to consider one of the branches as
"base", and always update the other as compared to it, because if you
alternatively choose which should be the base, the errors you introduce
in one might propagate in other, and when you fix them, they might be
overriden by the other, so you still get incorrect translations in the
next merge (been there, done that :-).

Of course, you don't need to check out entire branches (and if you do,
it's better to 'cp -rp <module>.branch <module>.HEAD' and do a 'cvs -z4
up -r branch'): it's enough to check out just your translation and
ChangeLog (eg. 'cvs co module/po/sr.po module/po/ChangeLog').

I hope I've helped at least a bit.

Cheers,
Danilo