Re: Remove debug strings from pos

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 18:54:56 +0100, "Arafat Medini" <lumina@silverpen.de>
said:
[snip]
> Well that's why I am asking to give me and all the hackers/translators
> you're opinion about this.
> For my reasons to why I am putting on this on the mailing list: as we
> get more and more packs in gnome and gnome itself is becoming bigger and
> bigger you can't translate thousands and thousands of pos which are
> MAYBE not necessary with 1 person or two (in many if not the majority of
> the languages this is the curren situation...).
>
> So what do you think?

Ok, here it goes ;-). My criterium would be: is this information meant
for
end-users/system-administrators or people who work on the code? When it's
about errors: if the error can be solved by turning something on or off
or
changing a configuration file (something a non-programmer system
administrator
can do), I'd translate it.
If it's an error in the program that a user can't do anything about
besides
reporting it, it's most useful if it's in English (and the user won't
necessarily have to understand it). I don't really see a benefit to
translating
such messages: the target group already needs to understand English for
other
reasons (understanding English comments in source code, communication
with other
coders).

With regards,
Elros

  Elros Cyriatan
  89D0A011957D96020E7D1D16B37D496E440D660A