Re: AudioServer Standard?

On Sat, 18 Sep 1999, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:

> Currently, there were some discussions on kde-core-devel regarding what
> should be the audio server for KDE 2.0. I suggested aRts (well, I wrote
> it, so I think it's a great thing... ;), another solution would be
> KAudioServer2 and the third solution would be ESD.

We are looking for an ESD replacement or at least a rewrite, and
apparently it has some technical shortcomings (don't ask me for details, I
don't know anything about sound). I _definitely_ want to have KDE and
GNOME using the same sound system.

If KDE is for sure going to use aRts and people-who-know say it is
technically better than esound, I'm one of the C++ nerds over here in
GNOME-land so I'll try to look at porting the client side to C for us and
hooking it up via ORBit. I don't think we care if the application itself
is in C++, though stranger things have happened. :-)

Can you tell us about the features of aRts or point us to a web page or
something?

Thanks,
Havoc