Re: Brainstorm: Desktop

On Tue, Apr 07, 1998 at 11:27:20AM -0500, Robert J. Slover wrote:

> I was intending to mean the VFS layer in gmc, not the linux kernel VFS.
> It would be ideal if all unices supported kernel VFS's...but they don't.
> The mc VFS allows one to browse into TAR files and into FTP archives.  I
> consider it an extension of the Unix 'everything is a file' metaphor.
>
> Way cool, IMHO.

Hmm, couldn't CORBA be used for this too? So, you'd have a .gnomerc with
the name of your 'configuration object' in it, and you'd connect to
the corba server, retrieve the configuration object, and go from there.
Now that would be portable, plus all of the advantages from above.

-NOTE- I haven't studied CORBA too well yet, so I don't know if this is
       feasable

cya,
Martijn
--