Re: Gnome/RedHat Questions

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Gene C. wrote:

> 3. OK, since I like using rpm to build my binaries, I figured I would use
> it to rebuild gnome-core.  But first, lets try to at least compile the
> gnome-core source in the gnome-core-0.13*.src.rpm --
>
> 	a) first, my "current" rpm did not like the gnome-core.spec (the readme in
> the devel directory mentions rpm 2.4.104 --- WHERE IS THIS???)

rpm.2.4.12 is in ftp://.../redhat-5.0/update/SRPMS/rpm-2.4.12 ...
(somewhere in the 'updates' directory of RedHat Linux)

> 	b) Just to get it to sort of work, I commented out the offending line and
> tried again -- this time, it proceeded (boy, it it compute bound) until it
> could not find an executable called "mico-c++".
>
> What goes???  Have you folks forgotten you have some stuff installed which
> IS REQUIRED to rebuild the binaries?

No, we/they did not, but the order the packages are listed on the
gnome.org is a little bit confusing:

      guile
      umb-scheme (comes with RH 5.0), or get via ftp
      giflib (latest available here)
      libpng1.0 or higher
      gtk+
      imlib
      gnome-libs
      gnome-guile
      gnome-objc
      mico
      gnome-core
      gnome-games
      mc
      gmc
      gnome-graphics
      gnome-media

You may install the packages in this order if you say 'rpm --force
- --nodeps' but you cannot build them this way:

The dependencies are about ('a -> b' means 'a requires b'):

  *  gtk+ -> giflib libpng
  *  imlib -> gtk+
  *  gnome-libs -> gtk+ imlib mico (here you'll get your mico-c++ from!)
  *  gnome-guile -> gtk+ guile umb-scheme
  *  gnome-core -> gnome-libs
  *  gnome-graphics -> (gnome-core?) gnome-libs
  *  gnome-games -> (gnome-core?) gnome-libs
  *  gnome-media -> (gnome-core?) gnome-libs
  *  gnome-utils -> (gnome-core?) gnome-guile gnome-libs
  *  mc, gmc, aorta, balsa -> (gnome-core?) gnome-libs

So you should compile about in the following order

  *  libgr, giflib, libpng
  *  gtk+
  *  imlib
  *  mico
  *  guile, umb-scheme

This are the base packages that you need in order to build the following:

  *  gnome-libs
  *  gnome-core
  *  gnome-guile, gnome-games, gnome-media, gnome-utils, ...

> Please pause and try installing on a "fresh" linux system.  Then rebuild
> all of the binaries from the source.  When you find all of the missing
> stuff, maybe you can then provide that so that the rest of us can install
> also.

I think there is nothing missing, not even in the RPMS. The question is
only that they have to be compiled/installed in a particular order - this
should be documented a little bit better.

Martin

   Martin Baulig - Angewandte Mathematik - Universitaet Trier

   baulig@castor.uni-trier.de, http://www.home-of-linux.org/
   Key: 1024-bit key with ID C8178435 created 1997/01/24
   ID:  67 C1 84 A0 47 F5 11 C5  5F 68 4C 84 99 05 C3 92
   Finger me for public key or fetch finger.txt from the url above