Re: WM hints again!!!!!!

> The next version of icewm will support:
>    WIN_WORKSPACE to set the desktop window. Note that application will only
>    be on one workspace or sticky (like fvwm,kde,wmaker, but not like CDE which
>    allows app to be in more than one)
>    WIN_LAYER to set things like desktop, below, normal, ontop, panel, ...
>       layers.
>    WIN_ICONS to set more than one mask/pixmap for icons.
>       - this is an extension of KWM_WIN_ICON which will also be supported
> 	at least for now (hopefully KWM could switch to WIN_ICONS).
>    WIN_FLAGS to set sticky,maximized,hidden,shaded flags.
>
> And on the root window:
>    WIN_FEATURES - list of supported WIN_* properties.
>    WIN_WORKSPACE - current workspace
>    WIN_WORKSPACE_NAMES - names of workspaces.

these seem to be pretty nice ... and no need to do add GNOME hints ... we
could just call them icewm hints ...

> I'm also thinking of providing a complete window state as one property
> that could be saved by session management and then restored. This
> would include all hints and would be extensible.

it would be nice I guess .... especially if the state is changed and the
app wouldn't have to save this stuff itself ...

> I'm against using GNOME_* prefixes, because it reduce chance of
> other projects adopting the same properties.

yes .. I 100% agree with you ...

> I will post exact spec for these properties today.

cool ...

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: