Re: Memory Issues with gtk, gnome panel, etc

On Tue, Aug 04, 1998 at 01:38:25PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Robert Soros wrote:
> > 	Why is this happening, is it gtk ? is it some gnome app in
> > particular, like the panel, applets, etc?
>
> It's a bug in something. I am having the same symptoms but I think it is
> my X server, 16 bpp SVGA (Matrox Millenium II). In my case it does not
> appear to be caused by running Gnome; I have not seen this on other
> servers with Gnome. I also didn't notice it in 24 bpp, but 24 bpp kills
> Imlib so I'm kind of between two rocks. I'm told there's a SUSE server to
> solve it.

Yup. I'm also running a RedHat 5.1 Xserver with a Matrox Millenium II in
24bpp mode. If I use it for a couple of weeks, X will eventually allocate
150MB of memory, at which point my machine starts swapping *hard*.

So, this doesn't seem to be a Gnome problem, although Gnome might make it
worse. The adventurous can work around this problem by running a
beta-release window manager which crashes every few days, preventing memory
leaks from getting too large. =)

Cheers,
Eric