GNOME Database kit

Hi,

the last few days (since I subscribed to this list, SO I'M NEW) I
thought about some database connectivity too.
On Linux there are many powerfull databases, but all of them are DB
servers, with no easy-to-use front-end for developing some DB
applications. I really miss an application like Corel (Borland/Inprise)
Paradox. So the following ideas came to my mind:

- What about a "layer" in GNOME, that hides the connection from the
user? In this "layer" you can put the code that connects to a DB like
ADABAS, mySQL or some ODBC code.
- An interface to glade (form design).
- An interface to the db libs (above) to create, delete and manipulate
the tables on the server.
- An application that puts it all together.
- A program builder to put all of the code into one application to
distribute.

Is it stupid, that I want something like Paradox on my Linux Box?

Jan