Some errors during first installation of gnome-0.25 (and some fixings)

Hello folks,

I had several errors during installation of gnome-0.25 on my
linux-system at home. I want to help you, make the installation of
gnome bug-free (I know, the only bug-free software up to now is tex, I
think). Here is my installation-script, includes the error-message
(lightly shortend) and the things I have done to fix them.

I use the programs:
   gcc 2.7.2.1,   libc 5.4.44
   libg 27.2.1,   automake 1.3
   autoconf 2.12, gettext 0.10.32

Installation script from elrond@hobbit 98/08/06 - 98/08/07:

I install every thing in /usr/local. The directroy-name are
always relative to the main current installing package.

automake 1.3: no errors - installed

glib 1.1.2: no errors - installed

gtk+ 1.1.1: no errors - installed

imlib 1.4: no errors - installed

ORBit 0.2: no errors - installed

gnome-libs-0.25: errors
   error: directory po
      No rule to make target `../gnome-hello/gnome-hello.c',
         needed by `gnome-libs.pot'
   fix: do not compile po
   error: directory support
      error.c:28: gnomesupport-fake.h: No such file or directory
   fix: chnage the following in error.c
      - //#include <gnomesupport-fake.h>
      + #include<stdlib.h>
      + #include <gnome-argp.h>
installed

gnome-objc-0.25: ok - installed

gnome-core-0.25:
   error: directory gmenu
      make[2]: *** No rule to make target `iconsel.h',
               needed by `gmenu.o'.  Stop.
   fix: change some line in the gmenu/Makefile, there is
        no need to include iconsel.h in the dependencies from
        the tragets
        -dialogs.o: dialogs.c gmenu.h iconsel.h
	-edit.o: edit.c gmenu.h iconsel.h unknown.xpm
	-gmenu.o: gmenu.c gmenu.h iconsel.h unknown.xpm up.xpm down.xpm
	-iconsel.o: iconsel.c gmenu.h iconsel.h
	-order.o: order.c gmenu.h iconsel.h folder.xpm unknown.xpm
	-tree.o: tree.c gmenu.h iconsel.h top.xpm
	+dialogs.o: dialogs.c
	+edit.o: edit.c gmenu.h unknown.xpm
	+gmenu.o: gmenu.c gmenu.h unknown.xpm up.xpm down.xpm
	+iconsel.o: iconsel.c gmenu.h
	+order.o: order.c gmenu.h folder.xpm unknown.xpm
	+tree.o: tree.c gmenu.h top.xpm
installed

guile-1.2: ok - installed

gnome-guile-0.25:
   error: this package needs guile-1.2 to be installed before

   fix: install guile-1.2 ok (I did every thing like, compiling stuff
        After GTK+, form the Beginning Guid to Getting GNOME to Work
        From CVS)
installed

gnome-admin-0.25:
   error: directory gulp
          after configure there is no gulp/.deps/gulp.c file
   fix: build the fiel gulp/.deps/gulp.c with
        makedepend -f.deps/gulp.p -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/local/include
        -I/usr/local/include -DNEED_GNOMESUPPORT_H
	-I/usr/local/lib/gnome-libs/include -I/usr/X11R6/include
	-I/usr/local/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include
	-I/usr/local/lib/glib/include -I/usr/local/include ../gulp.m
   warnings: in directory gulp
      gcc produced such warnings in directory gulp
         gulp.m: In function `_i_GULPMainWin__menu_help_about_':
	 gulp.m:47: warning: passing arg 4 of `gnome_about_new'
	            from incompatible pointer type
         gulp.m: In function `_i_GULPApp__toggled_':
	 gulp.m:83: warning: passing arg 1 of `get_row_data:'
                   makes integer from pointer without a cast
	 gulp.m: In function `_i_GULPApp__clicked_':
	 gulp.m:135: warning: passing arg 1 of `get_row_data:'
                     makes integer from pointer without a cast
	 gulp.m:150: warning: passing arg 1 of `get_row_data:'
                     makes integer from pointer without a cast
	 gulp.m: In function `_i_GULPApp__do_job_list':
	 gulp.m:241: warning: passing arg 1 of `get_row_data:'
                     makes integer from pointer without a cast
	 gulp.m: In function `_i_GULPApp__do_printer_list':
	 gulp.m:304: warning: passing arg 1 of `get_row_data:'
                     makes integer from pointer without a cast
	 gulp.m:356: warning: passing arg 1 of `get_row_data:'
                     makes integer from pointer without a cast
   error: in directory logview
      logview.c: In function `LoadLogMenu':
      logview.c:621: `PATH_MESSAGES' undeclared (first use this function)
   fix: logview/logview.c add the line to the includes
      +#include <config.h>
        config.h change the line
	-/* #undef PATH_MESSAGES */
        +#define PATH_MESSAGES "message from elrond"
	                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                I don't know, which string could make
sence
installed

gnome-graphics-0.25:
   error: in directory po
      make[2]: *** No rule to make target `../ghost-gnome/main.c',
               needed by `gnome-graphics.pot'.  Stop.
   fix: do not compile ghost-gnome/main.c
      change some line in po/Makefile
      -        ../ee/thumbnails.c \
      -        ../ghost-gnome/main.c
      +        ../ee/thumbnails.c
      +        ../ghost-gnome/main.c
installed

gnome-games-0.25:
   error:
      configure-file is missing
   fix: call some programs to build configure
      automake --add-missing
      autoconf
   errror: in directory aisleriot
      card.c:21: pixmaps/cards.h: No such file or directory
      card.c:22: pixmaps/slot.xpm: No such file or directory
      card.c:23: pixmaps/back.xpm: No such file or directory
      card.c:24: pixmaps/background.xpm: No such file or directory
   fix: do not compile aisleriot, so change a line in the Makefile
      -         gyahtzee gnobots gnothello $(guile_DIRS)
      +         gyahtzee gnobots
installed

gnome-network-0.25:
   error: I do not find such package on my disk, prehaps I was
          confused during getting the gnome-0.25 distribution
not installed

gnome-utils-0.25:
   error: in directory po/edit-menus
      make[2]: *** No rule to make target `../edit-menus/edit-menus.c',
               needed by `gnome-utils.pot'.  Stop.
   fix: do not compile edit-menus, delete one line in po/Makefile
       -	../edit-menus/edit-menus.c \
installed

That was hard working - at first get the new gnome-version running
and then get the errors on this list. Hopefully I'm not off
topic, but on the gnome-page I could not find any other address
to snd my bug-reports (the bugreport-page seems to be very slow).

Best Regards

Jens

PS: it was hard work to ge on this list, hopefully it was a good idea.