libpng, imlib, gdk_imlib, etc

Welcome Gnome users to this mailing list :)

Just a quick question.. I've been having some serious problems
compiling any of the core gnome source trees for the last two days
(imlib, glib, gnome-libs, gnome-core).. although gtk seems to compile
quite nicely with no problems.

Problem seems to stem from the png library , maybe. Glib died a few
times compiling because png references in save.c .. so i upgraded my
png libs to the latest version.. glib compiled.. then i tried to
compile imlib.. that failed, so i downgraded the png libs.. imlib
compiled.. but gnome-libs wont build the makefiles:

checking for png_read_info in -lpng... yes
checking for png.h... yes
checking for png_structp in png.h... yes
checking for gdk_imlib_init in -lgdk_imlib... no
configure: error: I could not find gdk_imlib

I've looked through the header files for gdkimlib and the
gdk_imlib_init prototype is there .. btw. tried compiling gnome-core
just for the hell of it, after reupgrading my png libs again :)

/gnome/lib/libgdk_imlib.so: undefined reference to `png_set_sBIT'
/gnome/lib/libgdk_imlib.so: undefined reference to `png_set_IHDR'
/gnome/lib/libgdk_imlib.so: undefined reference to `png_get_valid'
/gnome/lib/libgdk_imlib.so: undefined reference to `png_get_IHDR'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [panel] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/cuttingedge/gnome-core/panel'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

QUESTION #1: Have the the png libs gone under some major revision as
of lately ? i dont see anything relevant in the changelogs ..

Ah Well

Tot Ziens ;-)

Bob Soros
BobSoros@yahoo.com