Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: Java bindings

> > linus said (in a sun magazin or whatever, iinterview) that he thought
> > java was  dead.
> 1) I belive the term was "irrelevent", and that it was an offhand comment at
>    a recent con.  I could be miss-remembering, or just plain wrong.

have a look at :

http://www.sunworld.com/swol-08-1998/swol-08-torvalds.html?08198

it says :

Java is dead
SW: What are your thoughts on Java?

LT: I think everybody hates Java as a desktop thing. I see Java mentioned a lot
lately, but all of the
mentions within the last year have been of Java as a server language, not as a d
esktop language. If you go
back a year and a half, everybody was talking about Java on the desktop. They ar
en't anymore. It's dead.
And once you're dead on the desktop, my personal opinion is you're dead. If serv
ers are everything you
have, just forget it. Why do you think Sun, HP -- everybody -- is nervous about
Microsoft? It's not
because they make great servers. It's because they control the desktop. Once you
 control the desktop,
you control the servers.

It's no longer something that will revolutionize the industry. It could have rev
olutionized the industry if it
was on the desktop, but I don't see that happening anymore. I hope I'm wrong. Re
ally. I just don't think I
am.

Friendly,

(and this is in the sunworld august edition.)