Re: [Summary] Meta-data/filesystem-encapsulation

> If we place the functionality of the computer within files as objects
> then a much wider world of possibilities opens up. I think CORBA, java,
> the WWW, ... are pointing us in this direction.

I would like:

	1. An detailed implementation proposal.
	2. A list of thigns that can be done with this new
	   OO-way of dealing with files.
	3. an ETA for implementing this.

The issue is very simple: We have a limited number of programmers, and
we need to use their time as better as we can.  Digging into the areas
of research, although pretty exciting, is after all research.  And
after months of coding we might come to a research-like conclussion:
the approach tested did not really prove to be useful in practice.

So, I would love if GNOME became a foundation for further research in
this area, so I am taking patches, even if I do not see this huge
improvement you mention.

> The GIMP should be providing the model for the GNOME file manager. Of
> course, all the objects in the GIMP are images but otherwise you get the
> idea. Let us put a procedure database in IDL at the heart of GNOME. That
> is the route to developing an object environment. The GNOME components
> would be important objects within that database but the stuff that grew
> on top of them would be the real joy.

I still believe you are thinking in something quite different from
what I have in mind.

We plan to use CORBA in various parts in gnome, like exporting the
application functionality (the equivalent to GIMP's PDB and Microsoft
Automation) to other applications to manipulate.

I still fail to see the connection with the file manager (obviously,
the file manager will export its internals trough corba as well).

Miguel.