Re: [Summary] Meta-data/filesystem-encapsulation

On Mon, 17 Aug 1998, Christopher Curtis wrote:

> THIS IS _N_O_T_ A RELIANCE AND IMPLEMENTING IT WOULD NOT DETRACT FROM ANY
> OTHER SYSTEM BEING IMPLEMENTED.
>
> Yes.  It is Linux and ext2 specific (for the sake of argument) but it is A

I really do understand you frustration on this issue.  It is unfortunate
that there is no good way to store metadata with the conventional unix
fs api.  However, c'est la vie, and we have to live with it.

> > This policy is not the result of our trying to quash innovation.  It is
> > the result of the policy decision that we _will_ work with all modern
> > unices.  That goal comes first.  I hope that you can understand.
>
> I *do* understand but it sure seems like nobody else does.  What I propose
> may not work on all unices, but that is not its intent.

And that's why it does not belong in GNOME.

--
Todd Graham Lewis                                     (800) 719-4664, x2804
******Linux******         MindSpring Enterprises      tlewis@mindspring.net